Saturday, May 16, 2009

Elephants or as Batman says "Funtes"

Or at least that's the nearest approximation I can spell of it.

I had originally planned to make lots and lots of animals this week, but then it seemed like I had every meeting and scheduled thing in the world going on, so we made elephants.

So, again I went to the Jan Brett mural site. There I printed off the elephants.

1. Let your kids color the elephants.
Photobucket

2. Have them tear up gray and black and white paper into little pieces. After I had this done I figured out to tear the paper in to smaller strips to begin with. Oh well, live and learn. Otherwise they lose patience and interest in tearing up the paper.
Photobucket

3. Next take your box of scraps and let your kids glue them onto the elephants. This makes the elephant look all wrinkled like they do in real life. Or, that's the theory.
Photobucket

4. Save any you have left over, because I think these would work wonderfully to make the penguins as well, that or monkeys. I think black and white monkeys would be fun. Also tearing practice is a great fine motor skill.

As a preview of an object to get ready for other animals, make a texture board. Here's what I did:

1. Get a piece of cardboard or foam core board or maybe the side of a cereal box. Cut them out to about half the size of a sheet of paper.

2. Find a bunch of foam stickers, something that is slightly raised. I used lots and lots of circles and a few numbers. This is to make the texture of the giraffe.

3. For the second one take a bottle of glue and make squiggly lines all up and down the board in the same direction. This will produce the stripes on the zebra.

You can also purchase texture boards, but I wanted to try these. Now rub the side of a crayon on a piece of paper while on top of the board, and it'll look really cool.

For more great Kid Friendly Activities go here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails