Friday, September 18, 2009

Hickory Dickory Dock

Materials needed: printout, art supplies, fun foam or construction paper, yarn, glue, hole punch

Hickory Dickory Dock

1. Print it out and gather everything.

Photobucket

2. Color, of course a grandfather clock is green. Cut it out and glue it down. Make sure to use half a bottle of glue, otherwise it might not stick.

Photobucket

3. Take your fun foam or construction paper. Cut out a tear drop shape. I drew it on the paper and let the kids cut it out. Doesn't her shiner look painful? A great object lesson, in following directions. When Mom says not to play in the closet and climb on the ladder, she really did mean not to. Of course she did, and so she got to be cuddled and held for a good 30 minutes after bedtime. I think she planned it all as a way to stay up late.

4. Hole punch the mouse and tie a piece of yarn in it. If you want to be able to move the mouse, then cut a piece of yarn about 12 inches, otherwise let your kid decide. If making a movable mouse, get a piece of paper or something to use to glue the yarn down. Otherwise, glue the mouse down.

5. Now have fun reciting the rhyme and acting it out.

Photobucket
The nice "pretty" Mommy version. I figure if I make my own, then I don't freak out as much, when they don't do it how I want it to look. It's a workable theory.

Photobucket
Superman's, his is probably the closest to "my vision."

Photobucket
Princess didn't even want a tail.

Photobucket
And here is Batman's. He was very particular, his mouse is a Batman mouse, and he drew Batman on there. AND, I cut his tail "TOO long Mommy," so he sat there trimming away at the tail until he had it just right and glued it down with authority. Don't change my mouse!

For those who are curious, this is our first version of Hickory Dickory Dock, made before I decided to let the kids each make their own and have more control over it. Those projects were a lot more impromptu then now because I was usually sketching the pictures right before they colored them. As opposed to now, when it's at least 5 minutes ahead of time, so I have time to copy and scan it all.

A super cute book that goes really well with this rhyme is The Completed Hickory Dickory Dock, I picked it up on a whim from Half Price one day, and it's a favorite here now.

Linked up to We Made It Friday!
Related Posts with Thumbnails