Friday, December 16, 2011

Kentucky: Daniel Boone

I found this fabulous book, but then as I was preparing I got an email from Colonial Williamsburg with their “Primary Source of the Month,” Daniel Boone’s surveying equipment (you may need to register to see the picture, I’m not sure).

 

I still read the book, but I totally changed our activity.

Daniel Boone surveying equipment

model of Daniel Boone’s surveying equipment as done by Batman.  The string is used to measure a distance, the compass is used to ensure you are heading in just one direction.

 

Supplies: foam board or cardboard, yarn, brad, paper/cardstock, markers

 

Prep work: cut two pieces of foam approximately 4 inches by 6 inches, and a piece of string about 2 feet long, from the cardstock cut a circle and an arrow shape

 

031

 

Step 1: Put a large amount of glue on the top of the first piece of foam board (I have lots and lots from the boys’ birthday party last year).  Place the second piece of foam board on top.

 

Step 2:Take the piece of card stock and write the compass points on it.

 

032

 

Step 3: Punch a hole in the middle of the circle and put the arrow on it using the brad.

 

Bonus points if you have time to color the rest of the case or paint it.

 

 

Subtract points if the boys automatically start demonstrating how you can swing it above your head like a weapon.

 

Not that anyone I know would do that………..  Not at all………..

 

I’m gonna link this over at All Things Beautiful and A Mommy’s Adventures 

Related Posts with Thumbnails