Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Actually Yummy Chicken and Dumplings

I have a love hate relationship with Chicken and Dumplings. I remember going to a friend of my Mom's house and having it there, asking what it was and LOVING it. Every time we go to Cracker Barrel I order it, completely forgetting that I don't really like their version, nor do I like their Chicken Pot Pie. Why? The dumplings are horrible.

My Dad taught me a super easy way to make chicken and dumplings, where the dumplings are essentially Pilsbury biscuits torn up real small, so it was with trepidation that I set out to make

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

Someday I will learn how to change the font size. Not today, I'll add that to my list of things to do after Halloween, which is coming WAY tooo fast.

Ingredients
1 small chicken cut up (I didn't notice the small part and got the biggest I could find)
1.5 cups water (I added another cup, see big chicken above, and it wasn't going to make anywhere near enough broth)
1t salt
1/2 celery stalk, diced (don't like celery cooked, left it out)
1C flour (I didn't see where this got added, so I never did)
1/4C chopped onion (I used 1/2 of a large onion, so more than 1/4 C)
oh and I added some poultry seasoning, it seemed like it needed some seasoning.

Dumplings:
1C flour (I added another 1/4C, because it was way too sticky, even then it was borderline)
1t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/2 C skim milk

Chicken Directions:

1. Place chicken in stockpot, along with the water, salt celery, and onion. Simmer over low heat until chicken is fully cooked.

2. Increase heat to bring chicken mixture to boil.

2b. At this point I noticed you are never deboning the chicken, and I was kind of thinking having random huge chunks of chicken just sounds gross. So, I took the pieces out and shredded them. I did NOT end up returning all of the chicken back to the pot, it would have totally overwhelmed the broth.

3. Add dumplings and boil for 8 to 10 minutes (we did 10 minutes).


Dumplings

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Cut in the shortening.

2. Add milk to make a stiff dough and knead until it's all mixed together.

3. (This is where I just ignored it, and dumped in small blobs) Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch think and cut into diamond and rectangle shapes that you drop into the soup.
Seriously? Diamond and rectangle shapes that are 1 inch think. That seems like ridiculously a lot of work.

RESULT

Jeff and I loved it, we both got seconds. The dumplings were actually yummy. The kids complained it was too hot and added about 10 ice cubes to their dinky little bowls. Then they complained it was too cold. I don't know what was up with that.

As far as the actual recipe goes...... Here's my problems with it:

1. I think they should have added some spices.
2. Nowhere near enough broth, I love broth, and probably if left to me would have added still more.
3. Why the heck aren't you removing the bones? I think that's an oversight on the recipe's part. Really, who wants to get their bowl of soup and get a whole chicken breast bones and all.

Oh, and as a side comment, I was very tempted to call the kids over for them to see the different guts that were included, but thought that might have been a bit much.....

Go check out other yummy recipes over at I Blame My Mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails