Wednesday, October 14, 2009

FNCC: I felt lazy this week

So I picked a recipe that's a lot like one of my stand-bys.

Mexican Chicken
though, I'm not quite sure how it's Mexican if you follow her recipe

Ingredients
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup (I used rotel queso, I've never found cheese soup for any of the recipes that called for it)
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes (I might not of used this)
1 whole chicken, cooked, boned, and chopped or 4 cups leftover cooked chicken (I used leftover fajita chicken)
Unsalted butter, for greasing pan
1 (11 1/2-ounce) package flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Cheddar

How to make this:

1. Mix together the first five ingredients. Like I said, I used rotel queso (you know a brick of velveeta and a can of rotel melted in a slow cooker, what can I say I'm a sucker for salsa and queso).

2. Spray pan with cooking spray or grease with butter. Whichever you find first. That's the problem with letting your kids help you put away the groceries, you can't always find what you need, and occasionally you'll find a refrigerated item in the pantry, or they put all 5 cans of cream of chicken soup in the refrigerator. I kid you not. At one point my frig was full of it.

3. Put a layer of tortillas down. Then cover it with the chicken mess. Keep repeating this, ending with a tortilla. Then cover it with lots and lots of cheese.

4. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes.

Sooooo....... I like my version better, this doesn't have much kick, and if I'd made it as she describes, it totally wouldn't have been Mexican except for the tortillas.

Here's how I change it:

1. I add about 1/4-1/2 cup of creamy jalapeno sauce from a local Mexican restaurant (Chuy's, for anyone local) depending on how spicy it is. I've also done it with plain salsa.

2. I tear up the tortillas and mix it in with the stuff, that way some on the top end up slightly crunchy, but it makes it much easier to serve.

3. I mix some of the cheese in with the chicken mixture. But, I'm a cheese fan if you haven't figured it out yet.

I haven't figured out what I want to cook for Brian Boitano yet, all I think about when I hear his name is his skating......

To see more yummy recipes check out I Blame My Mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails