Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Geography: Texas and Australia

Photobucket
Because I’m sure you were really thinking those two went together.  Well, oddly enough in our house they did, because to teach them about Australia I had to first show them a few things on our map.
012First we found Texas on our map (and yes Batman is attempting to do a handstand on the map).  Then we put push pins in for where we are, and where Nana and Granddad and our friends who sent us postcards are (Adriana over at My Bilingual Boys).  And as I posted yesterday we also were reviewing a product about Australia, and I thought this was a perfect way to move into zoo animals (I’m thinking we’ll learn about different zoo animals from each continent).
So from finding Texas on the map, and discussing where that was, and how it is part of the United States, a concept I hadn’t brought up before.  We looked in the atlas and found Australia.  Alas my globe has been eaten by the monster in our house, so I don’t know what happened to it, but we were able to find it on the atlas and figure out it’s far away from us.  I found my globe, or I should say one of the boys did under their bed.  We had a very long discussion about how it’s not a toy to wander around the house.
They were really intrigued by this idea of a it being entirely surrounded by water.  They’re also intrigued by the different animals that are found there.  I’m thinking this might be a future lesson about Texas, what animals do we find here.  Of course most of the animals you find here are found in most of our country.  So, I don’t know, I’m still thinking through if that makes sense as a lesson.  I’m looking at this site here, and all of the animals listed are fairly common, I mean we have a Virginia Opossum (incidentally very cool site about animals, if you’re interested).
And I just found out about this:


I sent the lady an email about joining a few days ago, but haven’t heard back yet.  It might be she’s already got Texas for her next group, or she’s getting overwhelmed with requests.  So, this could be another way to get postcards.
And, if you’re still wanting a card from Texas, or just feel like randomly sending me a card…….  I’ve got all of mine sent out, except a request I got last week, and the international ones.  If snow clears up I’ll go mail those tomorrow……  Notice how I snuck in we got snow?
If you want to find out about more great geography ideas head over to Children Grow, Children Explore, Children Learn for more great ideas!
Related Posts with Thumbnails