Wednesday, February 3, 2010

KimChee, or Another recipe that makes Jeff really happy

So, I'm not a big vegetable fan, so you can guess Kim-chee is also not on my list of recipes I like.  However Jeff loves it.  And, as you may have noticed this is not the current chef for the week, but when I told Sarah I made this she said she loves Kim-Chee, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it.  Hopefully I'll get all caught up soon, but we'll see.  Life is gettin a little bit in the way, my friend with cancer is really not doing well, so my priorities aren't as much on trying new recipes as it is on helping my friends.

That being said, off to the recipe

Kim-Chee K's Way

Ingredients


1/2 medium head napa cabbage, uncored, roughly chopped (about 1-inch strips)

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 cup julienned (matchstick) carrot

1 cup julienned (mathstick) daikon radish

2 green onions, split in 1/2, cut in 2-inch sections

3/4 cup tamari soy sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon honey

4 dry hot chile peppers, split lengthwise and seeds removed 
 
1.  Make sure you don't try to make this 15 minutes before you plan to eat this, it won't work.  So put the recipe off for a while, and then try again another day.
 
2.  Cut the cabbag into bite size pieces and put in a colander.  Liberally sprinkle with salt.  I discovered it was actually important to use kosher salt because the rock salt .  Let it sit for a couple of hours until the cabbage starts to wilt.
 
Hmmm, so I'm sitting here watching Dinosaur Train with the kids and I just noticed that Batman has a cut on top of his head.  He says he dropped something on top of his head.  I guess I need to wash his hair to clean the wound.
 
3.  Rinse well with water, and then use your salad spinner to get all of the water out.
 
Princess says I need to eat more popcorn.  I'm suspicious of this slightly soggy popcorn.
 
4.  Combine with the radishes and carrots.
 
5.  Mix the rest of the stuff together in a BIG glass bowl, I used a tupperware marinade container because that's what it fit in, and it made it easy to occasionally mix it.
 
6.  Add cabbage mixture to the marinade and put in dark cold place (think refrigerator) for 24 hours.
 
Oh, and as a side note I used crushed red pepers instead of the dried red peppers because it was a heck of a lot easier, and well.....  I forgot to get the red peppers.
 
VERDICT:  Jeff said it was similar to kim-chee, but not as spicy.  Of course then he ate a different bit that had some of the pepper and that was spicy.  So, my guess is I didn't have the spice ratio right.  But, he said I need to make sure and make this again, so that's a win in my book
Related Posts with Thumbnails