Saturday, February 20, 2010

We read lots of random books recently, here’s the few I remember

A Kangaroo Joey Grows Up and a Koala Joey Grows Up- In case you can’t tell we’re starting a unit on zoo animals, and because I’m also reviewing a product about Australia I decided to go ahead and start with the Australian animals.  These were really popular and the kids loved reading about them.  Afterwards they were able to tell me a fair bit about the animals.

A Koala’s World and A Kangaroo’s World- I actually think it works really well to have both of these books together.  First we’d read “A Kangaroo Joey Grows Up,” and see the actual pictures from inside an animal preserve.  Then we’d read this one, which had collage pictures, but it also went into some details that weren’t in the other books.  For instance my boys are fascinated by the natural predators of each animal, so they always want to know what hunts them.  We learned that dingoes, foxes, and eagles are the enemies of kangaroos.  So, all in all it’s a really interesting pairing of books.

Legend of the Indian Paintbrush- this is another one that I always remember teaching in conjunction with the Legend of the Bluebonnet.  My kids enjoyed it, but didn’t quite feel the connection they did with the Bluebonnet book.  They did enjoy the stART activity we did with it though…….

Sing Along Song- I won this in a giveaway at Teaching With Picture Books, actually I picked this specifically because Princess sings all day long, and thought she’d love it.  It’s an adorable book about a boy who sings through the day, and if I could figure out a good art activity I’d use it for stART, but all I can think of is the songs to sing.  I highly recommend this one.

Kingfisher Picture Atlas- I check this out from the library while trying to find books about Australia, which were all checked out quite sadly.  But, I LOVE this.  It’s a nice amount of information for little kids without getting overwhelming.  It looks like when I was looking this up in Amazon that they have a large amount of books in this series of all sorts.  So, it could be interesting to get sometime.

How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night- my kids always love this one.  And I think we randomly read it this week, that or they’re just remembering the “up and demand a piggy-back ride” line from the book.  They’ve been jumping on my back all week doing that.

To see what other kids are reading head over to Mouse Grows Mouse Learns

Related Posts with Thumbnails