Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting to know me, getting to know all about me or The Homeschool Hop #1

So, this is supposed to be about me, just me, not my husband, or my kids, or anyone else.  But, in so many ways the story of me is the story of everyone I know.  Without them I wouldn’t be me.
006Oops, I forgot to put a picture of me in, so here’s one.
I was born in Santa Clara, California, and lived there for about six months and then had a brief tour overseas in Hong Kong and Singapore.  Of this I remember nothing.  Because we moved back when I was three, but when I was in high school I got to go to Hong Kong for 1 week and see the places there.  It was fun to see the places I’d been hearing stories about.
When I was in fifth grade we moved to Texas.  When I moved here I was convinced that everyone rode their horses to school and I’d get my own horse.  I’ve talked to several people who moved here as a kid, and we all agree that what we thought would happen.  That’s not what happened.  Instead I discovered that the kids in my new school were a lot more ready to be grown up than I was.  I still thought I was a little kid, and they all thought they were teenagers.  My way of handling this was to start reading A LOT. 
Whenever I’m stressed or don’t know what to do that is still my reaction I bring out a book, so I’ve gotten a lot of reading in these last few months.  I remember the first time I went to the Young Adult singles Sunday School class at the church I grew up in I brought a book with me to read, just in case no one talked to me.  Yes, that really is rather pathetic.
I love to travel.  When we moved to Texas my Mom started these long cross country driving trips.  So for a couple of years we drove back out to California and see our friends there, then we started driving up to Colorado to see my relatives.  Then we started just traveling.  I’ve seen most of the Southern United States, and large portions of the East coast, but I missed most of the central United States.  I’m slowly rectifying this mistake.
So, as I said I love to read.  I tend towards fantasy/sci-fi and mystery books.  When I’m feeling sad I read Lori Wick, she’s a Christian romance writer who writes ridiculously silly books.  I have this guilty pleasure of reading chick flick type books, I also love Jane Austen and have probably read “Pride and Prejudice” at least 10 times.  I also love Louisa May Alcott books.  I regularly have to go through and purge my books to make room for the new ones I’ve found.  Now, I tend to read Young Adult fiction, because I’ve noticed the adult fantasy books like to prove they’re adult……..  And, I really don’t want to read the random gratuitous sex scene they’ve thrown in.
I also love to dance.  That’s my version of how I met Jeff.  Either way, I love swing dancing especially.  But, sadly with the advent of kids it’s become a much more rare occurrence.
Hmmmm, what else can I tell you about me.  I have a tendency to be somewhat scatter-brained and to jump from topic to topic.  In my mind there is a complete causality of how I got there, I just may  not vocalize out loud the 10 steps that got me from talking about Star Trek to suddenly telling you my theory on why we should have steak for dinner tonight.  I’m really rather famous for my non-sequitors.
I love to sew, it’s a bit of a de-stressor for me.  I learned how to sew years ago in 4-H, along with cooking, embroidery, and small animal husbandry. (which means I had a pet rabbit).  Of those, I’ve discovered that while I love cross-stitch, I’m horrible at it.  Really, I get off on my count and suddenly Noah is very very fat.
In case you can’t tell yet, I do have a tendency to babble, and I also have a tendency towards sarcasm.  I have to watch that with my kids, because they don’t understand it yet.
Well, now we get to see if I can figure out how to do this whole go to source thing in Live Writer and add the code.  Or if I end up going to Blogger Dashboard to do this.

MckLinky Blog Hop

Hey, I did it successfully!  Okay, now to see if I can add buttons and stuff on other pages!
Related Posts with Thumbnails