Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade bird feeder

Science Sunday
One of the links from my super bird links list was to a homemade bird house.  I like the idea, but right now we needed to build a bird feeder, so I adopted it to our needs.
011
Supplies: milk carton with lid, sharp knife, sharpies, bird seed, rope

012

1.  Cut a hole in your bird feeder.  I probably cut a bit larger than is preferable, but I cut out the indent that’s in a milk carton.





013

2.  Let your kids have fun coloring the milk carton.




3.  Sorry, no picture of this.  I stabbed an x-shape on each side of the milk carton with the knife, and then I fed the rope through in two loops and tied those loops off.

014

4.  Carefully pour in the bird seed.  For ours it took about 3 cups to fill it to a satisfactory level.




And apparently the pictures of my finished hanging up in the yard bird feeder are missing somewhere, so imagine a wonderful bird feeder hanging up until such time as I take pictures with my old camera or find my camera charger.

So far we’ve eagerly looked to see if any birds have come and no such luck.  I might have to break down and get a real bird feeder, or it could just be I need to have patience.
Related Posts with Thumbnails