Monday, January 24, 2011

Math Monday: Sunflower math

Our math lesson for this week was tally marks, and I knew that if I made them do it using the text book they’d get all freaked out, so instead we just did it using our homemade dry erase boards and using all sorts of things to count.

And then we read some books on sunflowers and I had a brilliant idea.  Ages ago I made a seed sorting kit for the kiddos, and so I ran upstairs and unearthed it.

 

016

 

Then, I gave each kid a small pot and had them sort out the sunflower seeds and count how many they had using tally marks.

 

 

After we’d practiced with just the sunflower seeds all week, on the final day they had to count up how many total with tally marks for each group.  That was quite a challenge, but it made an otherwise boring subject fun.

 

This was also part of our newest state study, let’s see if anyone can guess what state……..

 

Now head on over to Joyful Learner to see some more fun math ideas and later this week The Nurture Store is hosting a math playing thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails