Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sunflowers

Everyone who guessed Kansas was of course right.  And we couldn’t just “do math,” as my kids would say, with sunflowers.  We had to paint with them and more.

 

I found this super cool site with some sunflower ideas, and used their sunflower life cycle page as part of our Kansas study after reading.  First we read about how they grew from this book.  I have to say this is my favorite book about plants so far because it had great pictures, and did a great explanation.

 

 

The books we used……

 

Then I made this recipe from Pocketful of Posies, and she’s right it makes A LOT.  So, now I have a whole tub full of finger paint waiting to be turned into different colors.

018019

At first I was very strict on the whole you must paint a sunflower.  That was their first index card (and let me just say I’m loving this whole index card art, it’s a great size for displaying and keeping in lapbooks and such, and it’s not overwhelming for when they don’t feel like painting).

 

After the first one they just had at it, and I added in a few more colors.  I’m looking forward to when we try this again.

001

Now head on over to:

A Mommy’s Adventures for more stART projects.

Red Ted Art for more kid art projects

and JDaniel 4’s Mom for more reading and general cool projects.

Shibley Smiles
Related Posts with Thumbnails