Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Louisiana: Mardi Gras

masquerade

“Mardi Gras” is a great book about the holiday and how it is celebrate particularly in New Orleans.

 

It approaches this holiday at a kid level and gives a fair amount of background.  I loved how well it covered how New Orleans celebrates it and I learned all sorts of things.  It made me want to go to New Orleans to see Mardi Gras, and then the other mom who was with me burst my bubble.  Apparently it’s a higher crime rate then and most locals just stay off the streets as much as possible.

 

I guess I always picture it sort of like this:

Well, after reading the book we made our own Mardi Gras masks in the traditional colors of purple, green, and yellow.

 

I found these great masks at First Palette and printed them off on cardstock.

Then I turned them loose to make it.

Mardi Gras masksMardi Gras masks008

All we need to add now is a ribbon to tie it on.  I also want to applaud myself for not making it too over the top in effort and overthinking it.

009011

At the time of picture taking Princess didn’t have hers done, but she’s since gotten it done.

 

Oh, and in case you’re wondering the boys masks are superhero masks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails