Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: All American History Jr.

Apparently I never actually posted this, which would explain some people's confusion on my saying we'd switched curriculum, and everyone should know this.  Instead it's sat in my draft folder for about 3 months now.

Some days.

So, I commented before that I had mixed feelings on our history for the year, and they grew more frustrated as I realized my kids were not really getting anything out of it and the amount of prep work in printing was frustrating me.

After I’d ordered what we were using I saw All American History Jr, and was intrigued, but I didn’t want to look into it too much in case I got curriculum envy, you know where everyone else’s stuff looks better than yours.

025
I finally gave in and ordered it, and I wish I’d done so sooner.  Since this one starts at the same place as the last one, I figured I’ll go back and start over and then we can actually learn it.

So, what do I think of this one?

I LOVE IT!  Here’s why:

PROS:
1.  I’m not having to print off the textbook, and it’s a hardback, so it’s sturdy.
2.  The lesson plans are a lot more thorough.
3.  The “workbook” portion is a lot less printer intense.  You can see samples here.  The line spacing is perfect for my kids.  The amount of writing expected per day is working perfectly.  It’s got some amount of crafts.
4.  They give you a modified reading plan for younger kids.  Instead of reading the whole chapter you only read a smaller part, and it is broken down into great segments.
5.  They give you a day by day plan of what to do, and some days are so easy you can do two at once.
6.  There are hands on crafts, which you can guess we LOVE!
7.  I love the additional suggestion activities.  When we learned about Eric the Red, they suggested watching “Lyle the Kindly Viking,” and compare what you learned about Vikings with the movie.  SCORE!
8.  Fun coloring pages.
9.  There’s a lapbook part that you can either let the kids fill in, or for younger kids there is a pre-filled in version that you can cut and paste together.
10.  I don’t have to buy 3 workbooks for my 3 kids because this is a download

CONS:
1.  This is only for me, but we were about halfway through the material covered in this book already, so to really get my use out of it, I had to start over.
2.  They recommend getting the teacher’s manual for the older kids, and I think you could really get away with not having that.
3.  Lots of paper and ink to print it all off.
4.  You need to keep track of little pieces of paper for a while because all of the pictures for a quarter are all together (I’ve solved this by paper clipping it to the textbook where we’re reading.).

OVERALL OPINION:

The other mom and I have already decided we're using All American History 2 next year, so obviously we LOVE it!  I only wish there were a lapbooking/notebooking thing like this for Mystery of History.
Related Posts with Thumbnails