Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Adventures in Odyssey: Cause and Effect

19

 

When I saw that I was going to get a chance to review the new Adventures in Odyssey CD, I jumped at it and said, “Yes please.”

 

I’ve mentioned this before, but I love listening to these in the car on car trips.  They’re great because it something Jeff and I enjoy and the kids enjoy as well.  We actually got a “Mom can we finish this?” from the kids, so that’s always a good sign.

 

I also like that it leads to great discussions about morals.  This is produced by Focus on the Family, and it does occasionally have episodes that I wouldn’t play for my kids because it’s not topics they’re ready for yet, but you’re always warned before the episode starts if it might not be appropriate.  So, I’ve listened to with Jeff an episode about dying from cancer, and decided the last time we were listening to AIO to skip that with where we are right now.  But, they had a great discussion on peer pressure, and pretty much any topic you name.

 

This set is from the relaunch of the show, they took a year off (I did my homework), and so there’s some new voices and a slight change in some characters, which is kind of hard if you’ve been listening to the others for a while because it’s a change.  This one has one of our new favorite characters, Wooten, a goofy mailman character.

 

But, for this review I’m going to focus on one episode in the set called “Opposite Day,” it tackled two important issues about friendship.  The first being does someone have to be exactly like you to be a friend?  And the second, what is real friendship?  I’ll have to say the second one is the part that struck home with me.  It was addressing problems we get into with Facebook or blogging of counting the number of friends we have.

 

003 For me this hit home because I know I was really struggling with this about a year ago.  I worried that my blog wasn’t big, or someone else would begin a blog after me and then get more readers, or was someone still reading my blog.  Did they like me, I could go on, but I was suffering some real insecurities.  Finally I came to realize that if this blog was going to be a blessing to me and my readers I needed to give that insecurity to God, and since then I’ve gotten much better, and realized it’s not a personal thing if they stop reading, they just may not want to anymore, or whatever.  But, it’s not me, and if it is, that is their problem, not mine.

 

So, even though Adventures in Odyssey is written more towards kids it still makes me think.  This episode reminded me of how much I struggled with that awhile ago and how I don’t want to get back into that.  So, I work very hard to keep all of this in the right frame of mind.

 

I’ll be interested to hear ya’lls thoughts.  Do you ever struggle with the numbers issue of blogging, or compare your blog to others?  Do you have things intended to teach your kids that you learn from?

 

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this CD to review, I did not get any money for this review.  I would have bought it anyways because I own most of the others already.

Related Posts with Thumbnails