Monday, October 4, 2010

Book review: Masquerade

Thanks to Annette from Live, Learn, Love I’ve joined a couple of book review websites.  Now, I joined primarily thinking I would review kids’ books, and then I saw all of these books I wanted to read, and it went downhill from there on choosing kids’ books.  But, I do have an upcoming review of a CD…………  Here’s a hint “Tune in next week for your next…..”  So excited about that one!

 

Here’s what it said on the back:

 

1886, New York City: Charlotte Gleason, a rich heiress from England, escapes a family crisis by traveling to America in order to marry the even wealthier Conrad Tremaine. She soon decides that an arranged marriage is not for her and persuades her maid, Dora, to take her place. What begins as the whim of a spoiled rich girl wanting adventure becomes a test of survival amid poverty beyond Charlotte's blackest nightmares. As for Dora, she lives a fairy tale complete with gowns, jewels, and lavish mansions--yet is tormented by guilt and the presence of another love that will not die. Will their masquerade be discovered? Will one of them have second thoughts? There is no guarantee the switch will work. It's a risk. It's the chance of a lifetime.

 

So, I got it thinking, historical romance book, yes please.  I’m finally admitting that I like romance books, not the non-Christian version which has too much “romance,” but the Christian versions that are more like Pride and Prejudice, who marries who.  And the great thing is the writing has really come up in class since I first read some, and thought “This is so horrible, and predictable.”  That wasn’t the case with this book.

 

Instead, it was interesting.  It provided just enough historical information to be true to the period without it being overwhelming.  The characters were not the stereotype Christian who always had a trite answer and witness to every person they meet.  It didn’t feel forced, it was just a good story.

 

I had originally thought I would review it and give it away, but I’m greedy and I want to keep it.  I’m going to have to reorganize my bookshelves again to find room for it, but that’s not a big problem……..

 

So, all in all Two thumbs up, 4 stars, what have you.  Only problem is every time I read the title I get the Phantom of the Opera song stuck in my head:

Related Posts with Thumbnails