Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bible Alive: Job or how to draw parallels to current events

By now we’re all very aware of the horrible events that have happened in Japan.  We’ve seen the pictures and the videos, and it’s mind numbing.  For now at least I haven’t told my kids about it because I know they are not able to cope with that.

 

4But, my Sunday School class is a different matter, it’s amazing what a difference of two years does for a kid’s maturity level.  With our class we’ve been reading about Job and what happened to him.

 

As we got to the point where everything is taken from him and his “friends” are telling him it’s obviously because Job was sinful the tsunami hit Japan.

 

And that’s what some people did to Japan, thankfully a very few, and I haven’t run into it all that much, but I did read a few articles and some idiotic comments of people saying this happened to Japan because they sinned.

 

So, we talked about this with the people in our class, and talked about how to help people who are in a hard time.  Is it helpful to tell them what a horrible person they are or some pithy saying?

 

006Not really, and I don’t have much I can do for Japan, but I can help educate my students how to talk to someone going through a hard time, and what not to do.

 

So, we brainstormed what we would want someone to do for us in that situation, and then we made cards for someone we know who who is going through a hard time (sick, injured, death in the family, lost their job, you name it).

007

The neatest thing of all to me was our teen helper making a card for my friend who just had their father-in-law die.

 

But, the great thing about Job is it doesn’t end with Job in a horrible situation.  It ends with God answering him.

8

 

And God’s answer is that He is in control of everything.  The good and the bad.

 

We can’t create or control the charging horse, or the mighty storms, but God can.

 

And yes there are horrible things in this world and we will experience them, but there is a MIGHTY God who is in heaven and He is in control.

 

And that’s what our final lesson was.  Creating something that shows God’s wonders, and drawing that.

 

Now, here’s the oddity I’m going to do.  I’m going to do a giveaway in exchange for your honest opinion in email of a book I’ve written.  I wrote Job as a kid’s Bible study with questions for little guys all the way up to adults.  I’d love to get someone’s opinion other than my own on this.  So, I’ll pick a couple of people who express interest and send them a printed copy of it for you to read an critique (couple being random number I decide on somewhere between 2 and 5).

 

The reason being, I’m toying with the idea of publishing the Bible stories I’ve been writing, except I want to make it a more complete idea.  I want it to be an actual Bible study.  So, let me know what you think, does that make sense?

Related Posts with Thumbnails