Monday, August 6, 2012
Around the World in 12 Dishes: Australia
href="http://adventuresofmommyness.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Domestic Goddesque, Glittering Muffins, Juggling with Kids, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Mermaids' Makings, Mom 2 Posh Little Divas, Montessori Tidbits, Mummymummymum, The Educators' Spin On It and The Usual Mayhem have come together to help you on your food journey and will each cook a dish with our children and post about it - to help inspire you to have a go! Then go out there, cook, blog, and join in the linky fun!
I have a friend from church who moved to Australia and she writes about their life there. One of the things I noticed is a lot of cook outs and barbecues. This works well with my cooking and eating style, so barbecue it was. I did a quick search and found a recipe for barbecue chicken and smashed potatoes, and then proceeded to completely ignore their recipes.
Are you ready? This is super simple. Defrost about 6 or so chicken breasts in a ziploc bag. Pour in a bottle of barbecue sauce and a half cup or so of honey. Let marinate for a while. Start the grill and grill those babies. Super hard, I know.
Does anyone else call their mashed potatoes smushed potatoes? I do because it amuses me.
several small potatoes (I like the red ones)
salt, garlic, other topping type of things
1. Wash your potatoes and put them in a pan filled with water. Boil for about 20 minutes or so, until the potatoes are fork tender. I did not cook mine long enough because I was hungry. So make sure it’s fairly tender. Preheat oven to 250.
2. Smush the potatoes with a potato masher. This is where I had undercooked it a little, so they didn’t smoosh too well. More of tried to roll away or fly away and hit unaware people in the face. Make sure to try any random pieces that fall off and say “Mmmmmm potato.”
3. Add the butter, garlic powder, salt, whatever toppings you’re putting on. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Ours were a hair under done because of my earlier mistake, but the chicken was ready and I was HUNGRY!
4. After you take them out sprinkle some parmesan cheese on. Yummy.
5. Eat. My boys would say bonus points for stuffing the entire potato or chicken into your mouth.
Maybe enjoy some dinnertime reading as you eat. By the end of the meal there was nothing left. Superman ate 3 potatoes and 2 small chicken breasts. Batman ate 2 potatoes and all of his chicken. Princess ate large amounts of meat. At the end of the meal they were scavenging and stealing from other people’s plates.