Saturday, March 13, 2010

Here’s the South America and Wisconsin books and a couple random other books we read

 

How’s that for a post title?  I’m sure all of those “pro-bloggers” would be rolling over in their graves……

First let me tell you about the books we read that I couldn’t put in the carousel because Amazon doesn’t like them as much.  Okay, I really don’t know why they won’t let me put it in there.

Jaguars- the kids loved this because Diego has a baby Jaguar, and they were intrigued to learn that people used to have jaguars as pets.

 

Legend of El Dorado- Ummm…..  This one was a little weird.  But, it did lead to some fun discussions about what other people believe.  The kids were amused that they believe a giant dragon was god.  But, I don’t think I’d really recommend it for preschoolers.  It was just a little odd.  Though, I did love the illustrations, they were so bright and vibrant.

World Book Encyclopedia presents Rain Forest Animals-  I LOVED this one, and maybe I’ll accidentally forget to return it to the library.  Okay, that would be a very expensive way to buy it.  But, it’s a nice concept.  They go through and present a few different animals of a certain type and give you some fun facts.  Then after five or six animals have been introduced they do a puzzle page.  You know, find five bats, how many claws does the sloth have?  So on and so forth……

Now to the ones in the carousel

The Little House Books- we checked out about four or five of these.  The kids were kind of luke-warm on County Fair, but enjoyed it.  It’s a nice story about a young boy waiting to see if he wins a prize.  I like the simplicity of it.  The Deer in the Woods is about when Pa goes hunting to catch a deer, but doesn’t bring home one because he wasn’t willing to shoot a mother deer with her baby.  Which of course led to a great discussion about hunting and when you should and shouldn’t hunt, and why did he need to hunt.

Edwina the Dinosaur who Didn’t Know She was Extinct- This was another hit this week.  Edwina is very popular in town, and there’s a conflict between her and a boy who is trying to convince her that dinosaurs are extinct.  I highly recommend this one, for anyone who’s kids like dinosaurs or who are having problems with another kid.  It’s a good example of how to handle conflict.

Giant Ball of String- Jeff and I loved this.  The kids liked it too, but weren’t as aware of what they were doing to solve the problem. 

Digging Armadillos-  was okay.  I’m just sad because Caroline Oswald doesn’t have any books for our current set of animals, and her books were that good.  Really, they were perfect.  Now that I’ve found a book that tells exactly what I’m looking for in kid books, I’m having a hard time with the others that aren’t.

Here’s what my kids want to know about each animal: what does it eat, what eats it, and where do they live.  They also like to learn random facts about them.  Beyond that they’re not as picky.

I totally know there were a bunch more books that were popular this week, but I am so not remembering.  Well until I do head over to Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns for more book suggestions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails