Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yummy mustard thing, and I don’t like mustard

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless pork loin (maybe that’s why we had so much extra sauce, I don’t think ours was that big)
  • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 3/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
  • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
  • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon leaves (I had to search forever to find tarragon, I was out and there was none at Wal-Mart, can you believe it?)
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the pork loin with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, mustard and herbs together. Reserve mustard sauce for pork. I doubled this because I was making two of them, one for us and one for friends that had just adopted a baby.  We had way too much sauce, even spreading it on REALLY liberally, I think we still had the equivalent of  a whole recipe’s worth of sauce left.

In a large ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Sear pork loin on all sides. Brush with mustard sauce and roast in the preheated oven until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

You know, there’s just not a lot of sarcastic comments you can make about this recipe, it’s fairly straight forward, and there was nothing remarkable about how I put it together.  Other than I think the kids were trying to kill themselves outside while I cooked it……….  I served it with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli (I got a new thing to steam veggies in the microwave, and I’m figuring out how to best play with it).

So, my comments?  I liked this, I’m not a big fan of mustard sauces and I liked the flavor this gave the pork.  I did push off the extra mustard from the top, but it had cooked nicely into it, so it tasted really good.  And it was amazingly tender.  All in all, it was surprisingly good.

 

For more great recipes head over to I Thank My Mother and see what everyone else cooked. Whew, it’s a rare post I can get written in less than five minutes…..

Related Posts with Thumbnails