Monday, July 18, 2011

Fun in the Summer Fun: Kid Friendly Recipes

Welcome to our Fun in the Summer Fun event! Each Monday until September 7th Mama to 4 Blessings along with Adventures of Mommydom, Sweet Diva, Harvest Moon By Hand, and Sweet Phenomena will be hosting Fun in the Summer Fun link up events.
Here's the line up:
The 1st Monday of each month: link up your "Kid friendly summer activities"
The 2nd Monday of each month: link up your "Kid friendly summer crafts"
The 3rd Monday of each month: link up your "Kid friendly summer receipes"
The 4th Monday of each month: link up your "How to stay cool in the summer heat"

I love love love pasta salad.  Now Jeff and I have differing ideas of what makes a good pasta salad.  He’s more of a ranch creamy salad, and I’m more of an italian salad lover.
So we compromise.  I devise a pasta salad bar when we have this for dinner, and everyone gets to design their own.

Materials:
Pasta: cook one or several of these:  bowtie, twist, or spaghetti.  I like the tricolor because it adds in some vegetable servings

Meat: chicken, fajita meat (yum!), hamburger meat, taco meat, sausage

Cheese: parmesan (the grated kind is best to my mind), colby jack (my kids’ choice), feta cheese (mine), cheddar, not as common but yummy: manchego (LOVE that stuff)

Other things: sunflower seeds, croutons (if you can find the smaller ones, that’s even better), raisins, ramen noodles lightly sauteed in butter, or just uncooked ramen noodles

Sauce (our favorites): Italian, Caesar, Miso dressing, Ranch

I usually give each person a bowl and let them go down the line adding in what they want.  If I’m preparing it for a picnic I make two versions, a bigger version with Ranch dressing for Jeff and the kids, and a smaller version for me with Italian dressing.  I figure if I’m the one wanting different stuff I’m willing to do that.


It’s always devoured, and it makes for great travel food.

Every post needs at least one picture.
050

Related Posts with Thumbnails