Sunday, September 18, 2011

Science Sunday: Jungle Quicksand review

Science Sunday


I bought this ages ago for my nephew who at the time was really into experiments and such stuff, and then I moved before it was time to give it to him and it disappeared into the boxes, and I dug it out years later, and it just never seemed quite the right time to give it to him.

And then I was looking for something to occupy my kids for awhile, and decided to try this.



025

It comes with what you see pictured above, a small flimsy plastic thing, some white powder (that when you read the instructions you discover is actually cornstarch), cardboard cut outs of grass and the sign, and two animals.

No, really that’s all that’s in there for $10.  If I’d known then what I know now I wouldn’t have bought this kit.  But, I was young and na├»ve and wasn’t aware that the world of blogging would teach me how to do the same thing.

026

They recommended pouring in a small amount of water and then mixing it with your hand.  I accidentally poured in too much, so I just went to my pantry and dumped my entire box of cornstarch into the bowl.

That was much more satisfying.
I spent a while with the kids talking about the properties and such, and they had fun letting the animals sink and get thoroughly messy.  After a while they wanted to do more, so I sent them outside.

028
And thanks to it, I got a good 30-45 minutes of time to myself to work on cleaning the kitchen.  Pretty impressive considering it was about 100 degrees outside as they’re playing.

So, do you have any kits you've bought that were a total waste of money?  So far, I'm two for two.
Related Posts with Thumbnails