Saturday, September 24, 2011

Singing in the Kitchen

I’m going to link this up to What My Children Are Reading because we’ve been getting some music books recently.
Ever since reading this book, I've added something new into our homeschool day, and it's made a huge difference. We start off the morning with singing. I tend to stick to fold songs, which you'll notice are the books I've linked to up there. They're the songs I remember singing as a kid, and songs that have a lot of movement in them, and a lot of fun silly songs. If you saw my post over on ABC & 123 then  you know I’ve also been using songs for working on phonemic awareness.  From what I’ve found the best song to book come from Raffi and Mary Ann Hoberman.  I’ve had great luck with both of those.

The kids and I have been singing all of the songs from the CD included with “Singing in the Kitchen,” and I plan on making an instrument basket.  So far I’ve got some dowel rods that we’ve been using as drum sticks and just banging together or on the floor.  My next one I think is going to be some shaker eggs using Easter eggs.

As you can tell, I’m really enjoying this book, and I almost think the CD alone is worth the price of the book, but I’m a fan of folk music and am likely to be singing songs like that anyways.  If you’re not a fan of folk music, but you’re wanting to incorporate more music then you’ll probably like the great suggestions of the book itself more.

I’m kinda tempted to learn to play the guitar.  I think it would be so much fun to sit upstairs with a guitar and sing with the kids.  A girl can dream.

But, I would recommend the book, it’s a lot of fun, and a nice quick read.

Favorite Resource This Week


DISCLOSURE:  I did receive a copy of this book in exchange for a review, I was not paid for my opinion, and given that the songs are now rather stuck in my head, I sincerely doubt I’m making up my opinion.
Related Posts with Thumbnails