Thursday, March 1, 2012

50 State Study: Tennessee

Tennessee was one of those states where I had lots of ideas, but none of them worked quite right……..  Sigh.

035

What all is in here:

Swamp Angel (Tarnation hit the stars and looked like this)- This is a super cute tall tale, and I’m always a sucker for tall tales.  I look forward to Montana when we get to read about her further adventures.

 

Sequoyah- The man who brought writing to the Cherokee people.  You can see our plan for this on the lower left hand side.  This activity was really a bit over my kids, but it was a good stretch for them.

 

Andrew Jackson- I still find this president amusing.  I don’t know why.  I got to bring him up again when we got to Louisiana, that was fun.

 

Luck with Potatoes- Another Tennessee tall tale, or maybe this author just made it up, either way it’s a fun story about a farmer who has some bad luck until he plants potatoes.  I highly recommend this book if your kid likes silly books.

 

Tennessee State Symbols- Princess was happy because they have a state horse.

 

Casey Jones- This was one I knew the name, but didn’t know too much about this real life hero.  That’s always a fun surprise for me to discover something I didn’t know too much about.

 

Done, but not included in the lapbook, which I guess is really more of a notebook.

Davy Crockett peg dolls-  I found a great book for this, and I really wanted to make coon skin caps, but wasn’t sure how to do that in a way that made sense with 6 other kids there, and that could be completed in a timely manner.

 

So the Davy Crockett peg doll was born.  He’s kinda disturbing.

 

 

Banjo Granny- the world’s cutest book, and each time we looked at the illustrations we found more in it.

 

Afterwards we made a banjo for our dolls with a popsicle stick and some brown card stock.  Very fun and very popular.

 

So any suggestions of things I could have added?  Or ways to do this better?  I always like to add in people’s suggestions for when I write about this over at ABC & 123.  There were a few things I didn’t have the right books for, but over all it was a fun idea.

I’m gonna link this over at All Things Beautiful and her geography/history link up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails