Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: Lead, For God’s Sake!

Soooooo……..  I kind of accidentally clicked on this book to review it.  I was trying to click on a new parenting book, but accidentally clicked on this one because I was being impatient and the screen wasn’t loading fast enough for me, so I started clicking…………

 

I say that because I’m not the intended audience of this book.  It’s written about a sports coach who is having a hard time teaching his high school basketball players how to work together as a team and how to lead their teammates.

 

I could have been good with that, but the first 70 pages of the book are devoted to his life spiraling out of control as everything is going badly.  That’s a hard section to get through.  Very hard.  It’s compellingly written, and you want to read the next chapter if you’re sitting there reading it, but if I set it down I wasn’t eager to start it up again.

 

That being said if you can survive the first third of the book, the last part start giving the advice you’ve come for.  How to incorporate a leadership style that isn’t just carrot and stick.  But, I really struggled to get to this point.  Really struggled.

 

To be honest, I still haven’t been able to finish it and I have several other books I want to read that I think I will be able to  apply to my life better.

 

Would I recommend this?  Conditionally yes.  I know people who would enjoy this and with the caveat of skimming the first part there’s some good stuff in the last part.  It’s just not for me.  I’m not the intended audience.

 

DISCLOSURE: I received this book free in exchange for my honest opinion.  I was not paid in any way for my review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails