Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: Sight Word Rings

This is a super simple way to practice a skill. I got a huge stack, and by huge I really mean one pack of the neon index cards. This works perfectly because it comes in three colors: pink, orange, and green. Each kid gets their own color.

Here's what to do:

1. Cut index cards in half, for my purposes I didn't' want something the size of a whole index card.

2. Punch a hole in the top corner.

3. Get a book ring. You can buy a box of them at Office Depot or Max or whatever for a couple of bucks. Slide your cards on.

4. Now as your kid is ready add another word or another thing to learn.

What's on our rings?

Sight words, so far they've learned to recognize 6 sight words: he, she, me, is, are, I. I'm about to add another.

My phone number, I want them to learn their phone number so if something happens they can tell who to call. They're getting close to having it memorized, so next I'm adding in their address.

The key to this working is to have them take it everywhere. They can practice reading it in the car, and every person they see they have to read their words to. They love to do it, and it's great practice.

For more great ideas go to We Are That Family and for more great homeschooling ideas go to Thirsty Thursday
Related Posts with Thumbnails