Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Around the World: Sweden



So, I’ll say this right off.  Sweden just didn’t gel for us.  I don’t know if the kids were in a bad mood, or what, but we finished it all in one day, and it just felt like the kids had no interest.  And honestly I don’t think we’re going to get Hawaii done this year, oh well.  I’ll have it for next year.






Sweden
Bother, this shows how not well this study went.  I can’t find any pictures.

And, I’m having one of those down and feeling sad days, so I’m rather lacking inspiration.

So, quick walkthrough of what the plans are for it.

1.  Trace the words Sweden and “God Jul” (Swedish for Merry Christmas).

2.  Make the stick puppets, they’re Saint Lucia, Saint Stephen, Tomten (Swedish Santa), and the goat that he rides (whose name currently escapes me).

I do remember the kids being very amused at the idea of  Santa riding a goat.

3.  Saint Lucia bread (simplest recipe I could find), traditionally the oldest daughter serves breakfast on Saint Lucia day.

4.  Little booklet about Saint Lucia and Saint Stephen.  The Saint Lucia booklet is much sanitized.

5.  And a mini-book about what they do on Saint Lucia day.

6.  I also used the Saint Lucia Day doll I saw used over at Almost Unschoolers, and agreed with her about the whole drawing on underwear thing, it did look kind of creepy otherwise.

So, as you can see it’s just not inspired.  I got some good suggestions on Saturday of things to add in next year and we’ll go back there next year again I think.

Head on over to Children Grow, Children Explore, Children Learn for more great geography stuff.
Related Posts with Thumbnails