Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grilled Skirt Steak, or poor man's fajitas

Here's how we usually make fajitas: I buy the fajita package from HEB that's pre-spiced, and all you have to do is grill it and then slice it up.

I thought it would be interesting to do something that was vaguely making it from scratch.

That was the theory. Reality as always, turned out a little bit different.

Ingredients2 skirt steaks (about 1 pound each), trimmed of fat and cut in 1/2 crosswise (I used one)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Vegetable oil cooking spray
Chimichurri, recipe follows

Rub the salt, pepper, and onion powder into both sides of the steak (at this point you would really think I would have noticed it was folded in half, but I didn't). Sprinkle the vinegar over it. Let sit for at least a half hour.

Be glad you noticed this early enough to be letting it sit for a half hour.

When your husband gets home have him grill the steak to medium rare. The only way to cook a steak.

Chimichurri Sauce:
4 cups flat-leaf parsley (from about 1 large bunch)
6 cloves garlic
1/2 to 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 heaping teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional

So, you cut up the parsley, dump it in the food processor along with the garlic and pulse it into smithereens.

Now add the oil, and the vinegar, it ends up being the same vinegar as above because I don't have red wine like I thought.

Add paprika, or was it chili powder, just a dash, because you can't find red pepper flakes. Stir like crazy.

RESULT: Mixed feelings on the whole thing. I'm the only one who liked the sauce at all, and it wasn't my favorite. Everyone took their "No thank you" bite of the sauce, and then wouldn't touch it again. So, I think I'll stick t the HEB fajitas. The parsley was a little overpowering, and you didn't really taste a lot of anything else.

Oh well, hopefully next week I'll have better luck. I'm looking up my next recipe as I type. Go check out more over at I Blame My Mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails