Monday, November 23, 2009

Creating a wonderful tea party

I figured I'd post the background information, and then give you the fun party pictures.

TO DO BEFORE PARTY:

Photobucket

1. Make tutu party favors. Here's how:

a. Cut a piece of 1/2 inch elastic about 1 inch larger than the waist of the recipient. All of the girls got one that would fit Princess. Sew the elastic together with the sewing machine in a loop.

b. Get about a half yard of tulle per tutu (more makes a fuller tutu). And, ummm..... don't make my mistake of accidentally buying nylon netting, that's scratchy. Cut it into 24 inch length about 1-2 inch width (I think 1 inch would be just about perfect). Great time to use your rotary cutter, makes it MUCH faster.

c. tie the strips onto your elastic. I did the old double it up and slip the tulle through itself knot (does that make sense?).

Most of this can and was done while watching TV.

Photobucket

2. Make capes for the boys to attend.

a. Find a knit fabric, so you don't have to worry about fraying (a fat quarter works great for this, but they don't make those in knits). Cut out a rectangle that is 18 by 24 inches. Then trim the long sides slightly to make a trapezoid.

b. Cut a piece of ribbon that is less than a foot long (my best guess 9 inches?). I cut mine too long in my opinion, but I was making it up as I went along. Also cut a piece of velcro about 2 inches long.

c. Fold over one end of the ribbon and sew that to the corner of the fabric on the narrow end. Fold over the other end of the ribbon and sew on the soft side of the velcro.

d. Sew the hook part of the velcro to the other corner of the narrow end of the fabric.

Voila you have your cape. Total time for 3 capes: maybe 15 minutes.

Photobucket

3. Cut out crowns. Super simple you can get I think 4 to a piece of poster board. You cut out a rectangle down the long direction of the poster board, and roughly in the middle of the rectangle cut a zig zag pattern. Also gather crayons, markers, and stickers.

4. Collect your food. We had cheese, scones, earl grey cookies, crackers, apples, and tea.

As a side not, that's kind of funny, every time I make those two recipes I end up searching my blog to find the recipe again because I keep losing my hard copy of the recipe. Really silly, isn't it? That, and my scones never look anywhere near as pretty as the ones you buy.

Photobucket

5. For a party game we bowled. I got the idea from Shannon over at Mommy's Wise Little Bookworms. I only filled my water bottles a little, but I wonder if it might have worked better if I'd filled them more. Oh, and grandparents are very destructive to pumpkin bowling balls.......


And a preview of a later post (how to make the dress and where to buy the doll pattern):

Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails