Saturday, May 22, 2010

Fun Field Trip: Shakespeare in the Park

Or, how to have way too tired kids at the end of the day….  Really, I could have planned this better, but didn’t do as well as I could have.

 

Here’s what I did that set the kids up for failure at the play:

006

 

Can you tell what I did?  We had a playdate with a friend, and so by the time we got to Zilker for the play they were already tired and over-stimulated.  I know better than this, so why did I do it?  Because I wanted to see Midsummer Night’s Dream, it’s my favorite Shakespeare play, what’s not to love?  Fairies, trickery, and PUCK!  Who doesn’t love Puck?

 

 

 

Okay, back to our trip to the park.  What did I do right for this trip?  I planned simply, no getting chicken or anything, just sandwiches and lots of fruit.  I bought a big bag of apple slices, which we learned “How That Got on My Plate” recently, big bag of oranges, and carton of strawberries, and lots and lots of “dragon drink” (also known as Capri Sun, but in their brilliant bit of branding they got the rights to put “How To Train Your Dragon” pictures on it, so my kids now HAVE to drink it with everything, or so they think).

015 012 014

I wanted to pack their Leapsters, but one of the boys couldn’t find his, so he grudgingly played his sister’s.  She took my camera to play with.  I wasn’t too big a fan of this trade.

 

So, I got a lot of pictures like this:

035 024 029 033

Well, that last one is somewhat normal.

 

040 037 039

We met another family there, and the kids were happy as clams to get to play with the “Armadillos” (not their real last name, but it is another animal).  They love to get together with them, and this was a great excuse for us to have a “double date”.

 

 

How was the play itself?

054 050

I judge Midsummer Night’s Dream off of two things: 1 How are the Rude Mechanicals?  They can make or break the play and 2  How is Puck?  I mean if his role is off, than why watch it?  And both of those were excellent!  And they didn’t cut any of Puck’s lines.  Jeff and Aunt Tara can tell you all about the recent Calvin Kline movie, and my opinions on how they cut a few of Puck’s lines from the final monologue.  I MEAN REALLY FOLKS, IT WAS TWO LINES!  TWO LINES, AND YOU COULDN’T LEAVE THEM IN?!?  Take out the stupid bit about Bottom’s wife being a nag, that isn’t in the play anyways, and you have more than enough room to put back in the lines, and put back in the Titania in love with a monster monologue.

 

Okay, I’m better now.  Mostly, TWO LINES!  I’m done.  Probably.

 

So, I loved Puck.  He was great, skipping and bouncing all over the place, and approriately “puckish,” yes I did use the word that came from his name to describe him, but it is rather appropriate.  Sigh, happy thoughts.

 

060 059

How did the kids do through the whole thing?  Not as well as they did at Beauty and the Beast (I was wrong as I went back to get the link, last year was Music Man, the year before was B&B), but like I said I set myself up for failure in some ways.  They were already kinda tired, and we discovered this type of thing they do better if there’s not more kids because they’re more likely to calm down.

 

So, we got lots of “I need to go potty,” a few rather silly meltdowns about miniscule problems that wouldn’t normally bother them that much.  But after intermission they discovered they could dig in the dirt with sticks and they didn’t get in trouble for that, so they were happy.

 

And poor Jeff injured himself again.  He slipped on the dirt while carrying Princess back to the blanket, and skinned up his leg pretty bad.

 

Four days ER free.  We had almost gone six months, and then it was ruined.  Ruined I say.

Related Posts with Thumbnails