Monday, May 30, 2011

Math monday: Green Eggs and Ham

learning laboratory at mama smiles

Interesting fact I learned as I researched Massachusetts, not only does it have a state children’s book, it also has a state children’s author: Dr. Seuss.

 

I had found an interesting book about Dr. Seuss, but it was way too long to hold everyone’s interest.  When I read it to my kids I, we divided it into two nights reading.  But, for everyone getting together I wanted some kind of activity, and everything I could think of was either too involved or too simple for the entire group.

022

 

After some thinking, I remembered that “Green Eggs and Ham” had been written as a challenge to write a book using only 50 words.  So, I picked 10 random words from the book and we graphed 20 pages of it.

 

 

026

 

What intrigued me was watching the two teams (boys against girls) defend their answers.  There was one instance for each team where someone had the wrong number.  It was great for my kids to see everyone defend and come up with their answers.

 

All in all, a great exercise for everyone.

 

I’ll try and get the printable I made up, it’s just a simple table, but right now Scribd is being annoying.

Related Posts with Thumbnails