Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How do I study the Bible? a rambling answer that doesn’t really answer

Granola Mom for God is hosting a “What does your quiet time look like” party, I discovered it thanks to Adventures of Bear sharing her quiet time.

 

And as I thought about it, there are two different answers.  Because there are many ways I learn about God.  The first and most obvious is I read my Bible (more about that later).  But, I also learn about God from the movie I saw, when I see a character act the way I should, and I realize that is a failing I have.  I learn about God from the books I read, both fiction, non-fiction, children, and adult.  Particularly right now in the children’s historical books.  I look at the small details that turned a battle, two girls going out at night and playing a fife and drum, and I see God in the details.  He acts in the smallest things, I’ve seen it over and over again in my life.

 

So, I learn about God that way.  But, the specific question was what do my quiet times look like.

 

WELLLLLLL………  I’m weird.  All of these people talk about getting up early in the morning and reading their Bible and learning so much.  If this morning is any evidence that will never happen.  My kids came in at 7:30 and I convinced them to let me pretend to sleep for 10 more minutes.  I am NOT a morning person, and anyone who has talked to me in the morning will attest to that.

 

I have friends who say they have their quiet times in the middle of the day when their kids are napping, but I get too distracted then with all of the many things I want to do.

 

So, I’ve gone back to what has always worked for me: bedtime.  If I’m doing a Bible study with others I do a little bit of the homework each night.  If I don’t specifically have homework, like right now I read through a book of the Bible.  For me it’s always worked best if I took notes as I did, write observations, who’s doing stuff, what I notice about God, things I need to work on.

 

Right now I’m taking it a step further and using my quiet times as a time to write Bible stories, which is getting me to know these stories so much better…….  That’ll happen when you read a story 4 or 5 times in a row with a pencil in hand.  In that case, I’ll spend anywhere from 1-3 nights reading and taking notes, another night writing the story, and a final night writing question, activities, games, and the like.  Then when I go to type it up on my computer I add in anything else I think of in between.

 

Well, I’ve rambled for quite a while, and with no sign of a picture in this post.  How boring……..

 

Hopefully this afternoon, when I’m not feeling so tired and slightly sick, man this week has just got me exhausted………  I’m going to blame kids, they’re always a good source to blame stuff on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails