Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chicken Parmesan

I have two posts I want to put up this morning, so I'm sorry for doing lots all at once.  Here goes the first one.

Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • I was lazy and just used a handful or so of Italian Seasoning
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 (3-ounces each) chicken cutlets (I used chicken breasts, that's what I had frozen in the freezer)
  • 1 1/2 cups Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows or purchased marinara sauce (I didn't have any homemade on hand, and didn't really want to make some that night)
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 16 teaspoons grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

1.  Start off planning to make Roma Chicken, but realize you're missing a couple of ingredients that look important to the recipe.  I thought about substituting salami for the other meat product it requested, but figured no that'd be over the top.

2.  They had you stir the oil and herbs together and then dip the chicken in it.  I heated the oil added the spices, and then sprinkled spices to the top of the chicken as I browned it.  Brown chicken for about 2-3 minutes a side.

3.  Transfer chicken to an ovenproof pan if you haven't cooked it in there like you were supposed to.  I transferred to a stoneware pan because I knew I'd probably be leaving it in the oven more than I'd prefer and this would keep it from over-cooking too much.

4.  Pour marinara sauce all over the chicken.  Then sprinkle the mozzarella and the Parmesan over the top.  Oops, I just noticed I was supposed to of put butter pieces on at this point.  Ummmm, I didn't do that.  Oh well.  Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.  I put the timer for 3 minutes and turned the oven off and left it in while I finished the side dish of noodles with marinara sauce (hey I needed something for a side dish, and this used up the rest of the sauce).

Verdict:  We loved it.  The kids weren't super excited, but they ate it.  Jeff liked it, and I liked it.  It's a nice meal that prepares fairly quickly.  Which was a good thing last night when I started getting dinner together so late......

Go check out what everyone else cooked this week over at I Blame My Mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails