Sunday, January 10, 2010

Science Sunday: Insects




I saw this game in the clearance area of Target for their Christmas stuff.  They also had this at Halloween, and I'm sure I'll see it again at Valentine's Day.  They were touting it as "a great option to giving your kid another sugary treat," I was looking at it as a great learning activity.

One of the things I wanted the kids to learn about insects is that an insect has three body parts: head, thorax, and abdomen.  This game was perfect for teaching this.

Rules as we played:  Roll the dice and say what body part you rolled.  Then you grab the part you rolled and first person to finish their bug wins.  We kept playing once the first two were done building, and did it as you could keep switching.  On the dice there's a lose a piece side and a roll again side.  So, they also got to practice their gracefully losing skill.

The traditional cootie game works really well for emphasizing the other feature of insects that all insects have: antennae and 6 legs.  It doesn't work as well for the body parts because it's segmented into two parts.

I loved that because of playing this my kids are now quite sure that spiders are not insects.  Spiders have 8 legs and only 2 body parts.

So, that was our game.  For the idea I'm going to spotlight is one I saw last summer, and was originally going to try with this unit, but it just didn't come to fruition.

My Family, My Forever-  So, I just skip past the nasty little mealworms, because those gross me out.  But, I loved the cricket experiment.  My kids would have loved it too.

So, that's our science for the week.  Not super fancy, but sometimes that's the best type of science, besides it's so cute to see my little three year old saying "abdomen," seriously, it's cute.


For more about Science Sunday and participating go here.


Related Posts with Thumbnails