Friday, July 30, 2010

School Corner: forward to school!



That seemed much more amusing when I first wrote it.
Well, we’ve been back in town now for almost two weeks, and we’re mostly settled back in.  The house is still a mess, but I’m making slow progress on this.  You should see how amazingly clean my bathroom is, now my dining room……..
Did we do what I wanted on the trip?
Well, yes and no.  We saw the sights I wanted to see, but we didn’t get most of the schoolwork done I wanted to.  I have to figure out how to make that work better.  The kids got a fair amount of the random worksheets done, but I need to figure out a way to make that flow smoother and some it is just they’re not at the point of doing things on their own yet.  They can’t read the instructions, and so they need to be told how.

What have we done since we got back?
042 We’ve been working hard learning about Arizona and New Mexico.  I was going to separate the two of them, but they’re rather entwined by the American Indian tribes and the general culture of the area.

And continued to learn more about insects.

We’ve been busy working on numbers more.  The kids have gotten pretty good at our calendar game.  Now I’m moving it on to general counting and having them just put one number back after they’ve built that number with their Math-U-See blocks.

Oh, I saw this Montessori at home article, and thought it was very interesting.  In general I’m not a huge Montessori person, I was the kid in school who would roll their eyes at anything that felt like busy work, and I appear to of passed that on to my kids.  They don’t do well at repetitive tasks, so the transfer things they enjoyed once and then looked at me like I was crazy.  But, the aspect of doing every day tasks is the part of Montessori that appeals to me.  So, I enjoyed reading an article that emphasized the parts I really agree with and try to incorporate into our lives.  Hmmmm, maybe that’s the kid's’ next task, fold my mountain of laundry.

Oh well, this has been rather ramble, I’m in a bit of a contemplative mood.  I want to keep participating in Preschool Corner, but I also don’t really enjoy writing a post that is just a recap of what I already wrote before, so I’m trying to figure out how I want to do this from here on out.  I don’t know.  We’ll see what wild and wacky thing I do next.
Related Posts with Thumbnails