Friday, February 25, 2011

How to Make a Cherry Pie and see the USA

Much like “How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World,” is a LOT of traveling.

While last time I followed all the traveling on our map and took pictures, this time we used the map in the back of the book, so no pictures of that part of our activity, but like last time we did make the pie.  Only this time I used their pie crust recipe, but I was lazy and used the canned filling this time.
019

I had some eager and willing helpers to mix everything up.

Do you know how hard it is to make sure everyone gets a chance to pour at least two things in when you’re dealing with a 4 ingredient recipe?  It takes some creative scrambling, and a lot of careful warnings about how to stir calmly.021

Not like a crazy mad woman who is going to get flour all over herself and the dog.

Yes, I’m looking at you Princess.
022

They were all set to help me roll out the dough, but after one too many arguments of who stood on what chair I relegated them to watching some “Martha Speaks,” and rolled it out myself in relative calm.


In actuality, I rolled it out, and if I were someone prone to cussing or large amounts of yelling, I would have.  This was the most crumbly pie crust recipe ever.  It rolled out just fine, but when I was trying to put it in the pan it would crumble while I was trying to fold it and put it in.

Ugh, and then the kids weren’t even all that great of fans of it in the end.  Oh well, they enjoyed the book immensely and we all had fun mixing it.  That’s what’s important right?

Oh, and as soon as I saw the post over at Almost Unschoolers I figured out we should have talked about George Washington and the cherry tree as well.  There’s always next time.



Shibley Smiles
Favorite Resource This Week
Related Posts with Thumbnails