Friday, August 13, 2010

Preschool Corner: School Supplies


Who else is going nuts with school supplies right now?

 

I know I am.  Here’s some of the things I’ve been stocking up on, and some of my plans for them.

 

The usual items: crayons, pencils, glue, gluesticks, scissors (anyone else have a scissor eating monster in their house?), and markers

Paper supplies: notebook paper (?), construction paper, notebooks, folders

Other items: brads, sand paper, flashcards.

003

 

Okay, now we get to the real reason I wanted to write this post.  These flashcards at Target dollar spot.  Aren’t they the coolest?  My kids are loving them.  Seriously.

 

 

001

 

They’re inventing games for them.  Which near as I can tell mean they lay the cards out on the floor and step on them and name what it is.  They play Go Fish.  I’m not clear on their rules since there’s no matches, but it mainly seems to be collecting the pictures you like.

 

004

 

I’ve used them for classifying animals, and showing pictures of landmarks (thank you Natalie for pointing out the World Landmarks, it came in very handy for our Stonehenge lesson).  We’ve used it to find pictures of the insects we were talking about in our science.  They are awesome.

 

I also picked up some of their workbooks, mainly the tracing mazes for Princess so she can work on her fine motor skills and prewriting skills in a way she’ll enjoy.

 

Okay, so it’s not hugely inspiring, but I just like these flashcards so much.  I’m sure we’re not using them as intended.  I’m actually thinking of hole-punching them and putting them on rings.  That or maybe buying a second set and cutting out small squares and they have to match it to the right animal.  Okay, that sounds like a very intriguing idea……….  You might hear more on that soon.

 

Now head on over to Jolanthe Homeschool Creations and see some more traditionally written preschool posts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails