Sunday, August 29, 2010

Science Sunday: Insect Camoflauge





So, I saw this idea on a Science Sunday post from Along the Way. I immediately knew I had to do this sometime.  Well, this week in our science text we read about how some insects use crypsis (a fancy word for camouflage, which itself is a fancy word for hiding in plain sight).
003

I had each kid collect 3 small toys (I was going to do this with insects, but I didn’t manage to buy some at the store, so these worked just as well).

Then I started hiding the toys while they theoretically hid their eyes.  Yeah, kids don’t do that so well.


005

While I’m cleverly hiding the toys in such clever places as under the old baby swing.  I made a great discovery, and had to take a break from hiding to talk about an actual real version of an insect doing exactly what we were pretending to do:
004

Can you find the insect?

It’s the brown twig like thing amongst the grass.  That’s right, I managed to find a walking stick.  And the kids had the hardest time finding it.  So, we talked about that for a while, and they each got a chance to touch it gently.  And then I continued hiding stuff.

011

My personal favorite was the blue policeman on the blue swing.  I had to point him out.



018

And much like finding Easter eggs my kids are not very observant when looking for stuff.  But, they really enjoyed this, and they agreed things like the penguin were easier to find because they didn’t blend in as well.  But, the brown dog in the middle of the brown dirt was much harder to find.

Then we talked about why some animals want to be found, and I was impressed because they remembered that it “was saying don’t eat me, don’t eat me, I taste bad.”  Gotta love the kids way of saying it.

019 013

And then we found these.  You can’t tell in the picture on the left, but that fly looking thing is almost 2 inches long, it’s HUGE!  And that, I found out from someone else’s post is a cicada casting from when they molted their exoskeleton.
Either way, I still thought both of those were very gross.

And, then we got a VERY real life example of hiding in plain sight when Princess quite excitedly brought out my wedding ring I’d carefully put up on the counter to keep it safe while I did some gardening, and then lost it somewhere in my lawn.  After spending 3 HOURS searching for it, I still haven’t found it.  And 2 of those hours were with another friend and her son’s metal detector.  Tomorrow, I’m hoping to rent a bigger metal detector and hopefully find it.  Seriously, my finger feels weird without it.

Sigh, so things learned this week: bugs use hiding and advertisement to keep from being eaten, and don’t keep jewelry where Princess can reach it.  Little magpie.

Hmmm, as I write this on Friday Linky tools is down, so I’ll have to come back tomorrow sometime to add that in.

It's back up, and I FOUND MY WEDDING RING LAST NIGHT (SATURDAY) USING A HEAPING BIG METAL DETECTOR.

Related Posts with Thumbnails