Saturday, August 7, 2010

New Mexico and Arizona books

In my mind New Mexico and Arizona are linked together, not for any good reason, just they have many similarities.  You can also include some of these books for Texas to my mind.

Nonfiction

Incredible Wild West- We didn’t read this as such, just used it for some information.  I haven’t figured out a good way to read books like this aloud.  There’s so many random facts and some continue on to other pages.  I enjoy them when I’m reading it to myself, but boy is it frustrating to read out loud.

 

The Zunis- This provided great information about one of the local tribes in the area.  If I really wanted to just studying the different American Indian tribes in the area could take up several weeks of study.  The title is linked to the activity we did with this.

 

The Grand Canyon- This is a good introduction type book.  It covers why it’s important and what you’ll see there.

 

Find it in the Desert- This is mostly specific to Southwestern United States, but there are a few references to other areas in it.  My kids enjoyed the seek and find aspect of it.  It opened up with “Can you find _____ of the snake.”  Which got them involved and excited about finding out more.

 

Cactus Hotel- This is one of those odd ones that is covering nonfiction material, but might be categorized as fiction because of the way it’s written.  My kids loved this one, and we’re going to be doing an art project on it soon.

 

Fiction

 

Possum’s Wild West Adventure-  I really liked this as a short read-aloud sort of chapter book.  It’s not divided up into chapters, but it takes about 30-45 minutes to read aloud (depending on how many questions your kids ask).  They loved it, but were disappointed when some of the cowboys were the bad guys at the end of the story.

 

The Secret of the Circle-K Cave- My kids liked this cave much better than the one we visited.  It does a good job of presenting fun information and a small mystery.

 

How the Stars Fell Into the Sky- My kids loved this one and we talked about it a lot.  I also saw a lot of parallels between what Christians believe about the fall of man and how the Navajo explained it.  So, we discussed that a bunch.  This is another one that I have an art activity planned.  I just need to get those little gold stars for it.

 

Little Gold Star- We’ll be reading this soon, so no review of it yet.  I’ll update once we have.

 

Don’t Call Me Pig- I think I got this as my book from New Mexico on the trip, and this book is part of what convinced me to study both at once.  Both states were trying to claim it as “local interest.”

 

Night Dancer- One more that didn’t fit into my carousel.  We all agreed this was fun, and wanted to try dancing like that (link goes to the book on Amazon).

Related Posts with Thumbnails