Saturday, August 28, 2010

Utah and Nevada books



What do these states have in common?  Well, not much aside from both being lots of dry desert to my mind.  As to the reality of that, who knows.   But that’s how they are in my mind.  I have a lot of theories that don’t have much to do with reality.


The stars (to my mind):
The Wheat Doll- a cute story about loss and getting back.  The girl in this book loves her doll, but is forced to leave it behind when there is a bad storm.  She goes back to find it, but is unable to.  At the end there’s a fun surprise twist that we all enjoyed.

Snowshoe Thompson-  Cute story about a boy who's father is on the other side of the mountains in Nevada, and how he’s sad because the mail can’t go through.  Snowshoe Thompson offers to cross the mountains and make sure the mail gets through.  I had visions of all sorts of cute activities to do with this, but I could just imagine how it would end, and we don’t need another ER visit, nor do I need to give my kids ideas about playing on the stairs.

Trout, Trout, Trout- cute rhyming book.

Coolies- I wrote about this earlier, but I thought it was a good way to talk about the railroad and the workers.  I will admit the kids weren’t as excited about this as I was, except the part where Iron Man came down and rescued the workers.  Recently in our house Iron Man has been involved in a lot of historical things I never knew he did.

Books we’re indifferent on:
Sierra- It’s a poem.  I’m not a big poem fan to start off, and then it’s rather long.  We didn’t really finish it.  I did figure out that I need to introduce the kids to more poetry, sigh, poor me.  Okay, I do like some poems, but not most.  I’m a horrible example.
Related Posts with Thumbnails