Tuesday, April 13, 2010

FNCC: Robert Irvine, or how do I make hamburgers that don’t fall apart?

Seriously, who do you?  If I buy the premade patties they don’t fall apart on the grill.  Or, I’m assuming they don’t, because Jeff is the person who usually grills.  But these, if a light breeze blew on them they’d fall apart.  I started off grilling them on aluminum foil so it didn’t all fall down into the burners on the grill.  Oh, you want to hear about the recipe?

 

BBQ Barbie Mini Chicken Sliders

 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (I used ground turkey)
  • 1 large white onion (I used half a red onion, ummmm  I forgot to buy white onions this week, but bought 4 red onions, why?)
  • 3 cloves whole garlic  (pre-minced garlic in a jar, I know it’s “not as good,” but it saves time, and sometimes that’s all that stands between me and another ER trip for my kids)
  • 2 teaspoons grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 6 brioche rolls or roll of choice (we used these sweet rolls of some sort, that were really yummy)
  • 8 slices havarti cheese (right, because my kids would eat that, no we did plain ol’ Colby Jack cheese)
  • 2 tomatoes, sliced (what veggies?  do kids eat those?)
  • 1 red onion, sliced into rings (okay, so I’m not a veggie fan either)
  • 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce (and I don’t really like warm lettuce on my hamburger, but I’ll munch on the chopped up lettuce for the hamburgers at Fudruckers)

 

Directions

Heat grill to medium.

Finely grind the chicken breast, onion, garlic and ginger together and place in a medium bowl (Did you catch where I used ground turkey meat?  Does anyone actually have a meat grinder in their kitchen?  Oh wait I do, it came as an attachment to my mixer I got as a wedding present, but in the 3 or so moves since then I have no clue where it is.  And as another side note I chopped up the onion until it was almost a puree in my food chopper). Add the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil and mix thoroughly. Shape this mixture into 2 by 1-inch patties and let rest in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Toast the brioche rolls, then grill the chicken patties for about 5 to 6 minutes over a medium heat. (Don't try to cook faster over high heat as the outside will be cooked and not the inside.)

To finish, place 1 patty on the bottom of each toasted bun, top with cheese, sliced tomato, onion and iceberg lettuce and cover with the bun top.

 

Other things I changed: I didn’t do the little bitty patties because the buns I’d found were about 2 inch by 4 inch, so I made it to fit the bun.  My patties were really not gelling well together, and so I grilled it on top of aluminum foil for a while, and still some of them fell apart a little bit.

FINAL VERDICT:  We’ll totally make this again.  It tasted really good, and was nice because it comes together really fast.  Which, as you can guess in my house is rather necessary.

Now, head on over to I Thank My Mother for more great recipes.  Oh, and come back later today, when I’ll hopefully be able to sit down and write my giveaway post to CSN stores.

Related Posts with Thumbnails