Friday, April 9, 2010

Preschool Week in Review




weekly wrap-up
Well, it’s been a bit of a crazy couple of weeks.  I keep thinking things will calm down, but instead I think I need to figure out how to impose calm, and how to make it work better.  I’m trying to figure that out, partially I’m going to start planning ahead more than I have been.  I need to get back into writing out what I want to do each day, so I have something to hold me accountable, rather than just fitting it in.

Reading
002 We’ve continued through ReadingAtoZ, and the kids are making progress.  I’m trying to think of ways to start “shaking it up,” so to speak, because I can tell they’re started to get bored with what they can read, but aren’t ready to progress further.  I’ll be posting in next week’s review, all about one activity we tried………
I’ve also started having them do one handwriting worksheet a day that says what we’ll be doing for the day.  You can go here to make your own.  I realized I was starting to get beyond their ability level.  I got excited because they were finding it super easy and enjoying doing it, and then I started adding more for them to write, and I think I got too far ahead of their ability/willingness.

Math
005
We’ve gotten to the point where the kids get to trade in their unit blocks for the different number blocks.  This was the cause of much rejoicing because now they have so many different colors to play with…….  That wasn’t quite my intention, but still, it’s all good.  We’re continuing to work on building numbers in the 10s with the occasional number in the hundreds thrown in, for practice.  I’ve started doing that every day with them, and I’ve noticed it’s really helped them. 
Princess, however wasn’t as thrilled last time we did math, and drew a sad face in her book.  I’m so horribly mean.

Social Studies
037
We finished off Wisconsin, and are moving on to California.  We’ve started bits and pieces of that.  This is where it bleeds into science because we’ve learned about humpback whales, and butterflies.  While finishing off Wisconsin we learned about how to make cheese, and what products come from cows.  As you can imagine that was a very popular study.  I just need to print out the final parts for the lapbook, and design the cow part, and we’re good on that.  Hopefully.

Science
004 It’s been a bit of a mixed up time for us in science, but ultimately, we’ve been doing a lot of nature studies.  We’ve observed birds, and turtles, and flowers, and whatever else has struck our fancy.

Oh, and our neighbor’s newborn puppies.  Isn’t he cute?  We are not taking these puppies home, however much the kids beg, I DON’T want a great dane…….  No dog is coming into the house that will outweigh me when fully grown.

Life Skills
002
The boys have been increasing their computer skills like crazy.  If they had their way, they would be spending about 5 hours a day on their Jump Start game.  You can still enter, my giveaway, it’s ending soon.
It’s also been a time of lots of play dates, about half of which I didn’t get pictures of, isn’t that sad?
024

And of course we hunted Easter eggs, which will probably be a whole separate post, but I had to throw in one picture of our egg hunt.  I swear the kids had all sorts of fun finding eggs and everything, that’s been the game of the week in our house……  The kids are hiding eggs all the time right now, as a matter of fact, that’s what they’re doing right now.

For more great preschool and kindergarten weeks head over to Homeschool Creations.
For more great weeks in review head on over to Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.
Related Posts with Thumbnails