Wednesday, April 7, 2010

FNCC: Thai Chicken Wrap with Spicy Peanut Sauce

So, obviously, don’t make this one if you have a peanut allergy, or do like I did and don’t make the sauce (oops).

Ingredients

  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (I used garlic pepper)
Salad:
  • 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle
  • 2 cups fresh bean sprouts (I only found alfalfa)
  • 1 cup shredded carrots, available in pouches in produce department
  • 3 scallions, sliced on an angle (forgot this one at the store)
  • 12 leaves basil, chopped or torn (large amounts of dried, my basil planted this year is still at the seedling stage)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves (4 sprigs) (left out, Jeff hates mint)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
  • Salt
Spicy peanut sauce:
  • 1/4 cup room temperature chunky peanut butter, soften in microwave if it has been refrigerated
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 (12-inch) flour tortilla wraps

Directions

Heat grill.  Marinate chicken in soy and oil, which really seems to mean just pour it over the chicken.  Grill for 6 minutes on each side (I think I did slightly less and it was still quite well done)

 

Combine cucumber, sprouts, carrots, and the like.  Sprinkle with sugar and vinegar.  I found the sprouts mixture really hard to mix, because the sprouts did not really want to mix, they were all so mixed up together.

 

Now’s where you would make the peanut sauce, but at this point Jeff came home, and I excitedly told him I was making peanut sauce because he really liked it, and then I found out he doesn’t like peanut sauce, but it’s the other sauces, which I had in jars already (plum, oyster, so on) that he really liked.  So, I saved a few minutes and just got the other stuff on the table, and we all put on different sauces.

 

Slice chicken, and then toss with the veggies and herbs, which I found wasn’t going to work, so I just put them both on the table and let everyone add however much they wanted to their wraps of both ingredients.

 

We also used lettuce to wrap it in instead of tortillas, because that is a fun and different alternative.

 

VERDICT: So, all in all, I’m planning on making this again.  I might do it some time when we’re having guests over, so there’ll be someone else who’s up for trying the peanut sauce.

 

I’m curious what everyone else made this week.  I’ve got a Rachel Ray cookbook at my house, and she has a lot of fun recipes, but then she also has some that I look at it and go, “why?”  But, I’ve printed off about 5 more to try that were listed there, one I tried last week, but didn’t quite follow the recipe, I know big surprise.  I’m going to be trying her Mexican Lasagna tomorrow for a potluck.

So, for more great recipes head over to I Thank My Mother.

Related Posts with Thumbnails