Wednesday, April 21, 2010

FNCC Robin Miller: Slow Cooker Chicken with Rosemary and apples, isn’t that a mouthful?

So, I have mixed thoughts on it.  Aunt Tara and Miss Tami were over, and they loved it.  I thought it was a much weaker version of a recipe I have already and really liked my other version, so hopefully I’ll get them both written, and show them both to you.

Slow Cooker Chicken with Rosemary, Onions, and Apples

Ingredients

  • 2 cups sliced onions
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 2 pounds cut up chicken pieces (with bone), with or without skin (I used a bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup cream of celery soup
  • 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)

Directions:
Drop all of the onions, apples, and such in your slow cooker.  Put the chicken on top, and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and rosemary (now that I think about it, I think I forgot the rosemary, I’m not sure).  Mix together the chicken broth, soup, and rice.  Pour this on top.  Put the lid on and set your slow cooker on low if you remembered to do this in the morning and high if you remembered after lunch as I usually do.

Side note: I made this on Friday when I felt horrible, I mean really really horrible.  I was considering curling up in a ball and dying, but that felt like too much trouble, so this gives you an idea of how easy it was.  I wandered around and dropped things in.  The biggest problem was the apples, mine were slightly overripe and so they were not working super well on my “Pampered Chef Apple, Peeler, Corer, Slicer” (how’s that for a name?).
Here’s what I remember of the recipe I like better, I’ll have to come back and edit this later with the correct one:
6 chicken breasts
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 envelope french onion soup mix
1.5 C milk
1 C white wine or apple juice (I usually use apple juice, because I don’t know anything about wine)
1 C rice
2.3 C parmesan cheese (which I usually don’t measure)
throw it all in the crock pot and mix together, it’s probably better to mix the rice and all that first in a bowl and then pour it over the chicken.  Also it’s good to put a couple of pats of butter on each chicken breast, and then sprinkle cheese on top.  And, I will usually double the rice and then add an extra can of both of the soups.

So, that’s my contribution this week!  I can’t wait to see what everyone else made.  I vaguely recall I made a bunch of other stuff, but I didn’t write down those recipes at the time.  For more great recipes head over to Sarah at I Thank My Mother.

Don't forget to enter my CSN stores giveaway.
Related Posts with Thumbnails