Thursday, September 24, 2009

Great books about birds, nests, and animal homes



The Best Nest- I really liked this book. It's cute and was a great story. It tells of how all the different birds learned to build their nests and why each nest is built that way.

Crinkleroot's Guide to Animal Habitats- this was the hit of the week, we read it several times and enjoyed searching the pages to find the different animals.

Magic School Bus Flies from the Nest- this was a little stilted, and the kids didn't really enjoy it. They did have fun pointing out the stuff that couldn't really happen.

Is My Friend at Home?- I really didn't like this one. The stories were not appropriate for preschoolers. In one of them Rabbit says he cut off his ears to serve it to his friend for stew, and so his friend goes home and really does cut off his ears to cook them. It totally went over the kids' heads, and I do tend to enjoy this type of story, but this one wasn't my favorite.

Dragon Egg- this also was a learn to read book like the Magic School Bus, but this one was actually a lot smoother and more enjoyable.

How Animals Care for Their Babies- I had this book as a kid, so when I saw it at the library I had to get it. The kids liked it okay, and really enjoyed talking about the different animals.

Oh, and one I forgot to read with the kids that would have fit in well: "Are You My Mother?"

Oh and we also read "A House is a House for Me." It's super cute and while the kids weren't super into it, I can see lots of potential for it. And there is so much detail in the pictures to look for.

To see what else everyone is reading head over to Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.
Related Posts with Thumbnails