Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Roast Beef with Potatoes and Green Peppercorn

You ever have one of those recipes that seems like it's never going to come together, and the world is trying to keep you from getting dinner cooked? That's what today's recipe felt like.

Roast Beef with Potatoes and Green Peppercorn
Ingredients
1 large beef top round, about 8 to 10 pounds (I only got about half that and we have half of it left)
Kosher salt (ummmm I forgot the salt)
Freshly ground black pepper (I did use lots of black pepper)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard (So funny story there, I discovered I'm out of Dijon mustard, so I combined yellow mustard and spicy brown mustard, for a truly horrid looking mess)
4 ounces green peppercorns in brine (ummm, I couldn't find this, that's why I added so much pepper, I figured it'd make up for the lack of pepper)
1 lemon, juiced (check)
4 pounds small potatoes, washed and dried (I discovered my potatoes had gone bad, that was rather frustrating, so we had egg noodles with the dish)

Preheat oven to 500, if you're smart you do this before you start all the other steps, not after like I did. It's just usually you preheat the oven when you're starting and then you sit there with a heated oven for a good 10 minutes or so while you finish mixing.

Mix the mustard, pepper, and lemon juice together. Now spread this all over the roast, I just poured it over the top and made sure it covered some of the sides. At this point if you're potatoes aren't bad throw them in the pot as well.

Cook at 500 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile your kids are really wanting you to start a show for them, so you tell them you'll be out in just a second. Repeat this several times. When the timer goes off discover they've all fallen asleep (I guess they really did need that nap after all).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Seriously, is that not the cutest thing you've ever seen?

Now, lower the temperature to 350 and cook for another 10 minutes per pound of meet (approximately). It's medium rare when the temp hits 135. Since my kids were sleeping and Jeff wasn't home yet, I took a bath. It felt wonderful. Now, I really could have worked on cleaning, but I needed that bath. Really. It's research for a MOPS craft..... That's my excuse and I"m sticking with it.

And the general opinion was it's very yummy. I don't tend to make roast beef this way, I tend to do the crock pot method of simmer and forget. I can remember this as a back up for when I forget to start the crock pot in the morning. Also, Jeff likes mustard on things. So he was happy, as long as he doesn't realize there's lemon in it. But, I couldn't really taste the lemon, mostly the mustard.

I still want to try those linzer cookies. I'm just trying to see if I can find almond flour somewhere, I don't really want to pulverize almond slivers into flour. Or my backup plan is to just add almond extract, which always makes cookies taste better.

To see what other people made by Alexandra Guarnaschelli go to I Blame My Mother
Related Posts with Thumbnails