Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pesto Lasagna....

So again, no picture. I just don't tend to think about it when I'm cooking without the kids.

Pesto Lasagna
For the pesto:
4 cups basil leaves, loosely packed, washed and tough stems trimmed and roughly torn
2 cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 2 ounces) (I'm sure I added more)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup heavy cream (ummm, I know I added a little more because I just had a little left, so probalby about 1 C)
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
8 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt (yeah, I never bother to get the kosher salt, what makes it kosher anyways?)
For the lasagna:
1 pound fresh lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (you don't need this much)
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1-ounce) (again, I'm a firm believer in more cheese is good)


1. Go out to your garden and pick a bunch of leaves from your basil, what you don't grow basil? That's one of the few things I successfully grow, and it looks like a weird mutant towering over the rest of my garden.

2. Take any frustrations you have out on the basil as you tear it up, or use your kitchen scissors and cut away.

3. Put the pine nuts in the food processor and blend to dust. Send the kids outside who say it's too loud. Then add in about half of the rest of the ingredients, and think to yourself why you didn't buy the pre-grated stuff?

4. Blend the other half, and then mix it all together so it has a chance to sit or something.

5. Cook the noodles. I really should have gotten the oven ready kind, why didn't I? Because I'm stupid, that's why. It added at least 25 minutes to the prep time. How do they come up with these prep times anyway? 25 minutes hands on?

6. Start layering it. They say a scant quarter cup of the sauce I was more generous, somehow it seemed to make more than I thought it would).

7. Once it's at the top smother it in cheese. Having some mozzarella would have really made this, but I didn't have it like I thought I did.

8. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

9. Eat.

I thought it felt a little heavy, it was very oily feeling, and left me feeling slightly oogy from the too much grease (kind of like how you feel after eating a particularly greasy pizza). The flavor was great, and I love the fact that it didn't have ricotta, which I don't like. So, I was thinking of fiddling with this and maybe doing traditional marinara sauce with this somehow. I'll have to fiddle a little. So, all in all, mixed feelings on the whole thing.

I can't quite decide which recipes to make for next week. Here's my top picks: Roast Beef with potatoes and Green Peppercorn, Fried Chicken (I have yet to find a recipe we all like, and my husband does not like the recipe I learned at 12 years old), Chocolate fondue (one of my few sugar weaknesses, I like the crunchy salty snacks.... but chocolate fondue, yum), Chicken with Marmalade (which I would probably like and Jeff would hate), Linzer Heart Sandwiches (which Jeff will love because it has raspberries). Anyone have favorites of those?

See what else people cooked by Aida Mellencamp at I Blame My Mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails