Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Curry Chicken Pot Pie, or how to make your husband happy

I'm not a big fan of curry. Let me rephrase that, I don't like curry. But, my husband does. He reminisces over the wonders of curry. That last sentence may not be true. So to be nice to him I decided to make Curry Chicken Pot Pie for the challenge.

Curry Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots (I don't like veggies, so no veggies, potatoes instead)
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil (just used lots of butter)
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery (ditto on the no celery, but we did put in mushrooms instead)
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package puff pastry (I was lazy and used a premade pie crust, worked just fine).

1. Chop onion and mushrooms. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and cook it. Buying precooked chicken is more expensive. So I melted a couple tablespoons butter, and liberally spiced it with garlic peppercorn.

2. Melt more butter and saute the mushrooms and onions. After a little bit throw in the potatoes.

3. While you're doing this heat the milk and broth together.

4. Once the mushrooms and onions are mostly cooked add the flour and curry, and maybe cheat a little and add a little less curry than called for. Measurements are for babies. This is why I"m not a great baker

Bakers measure, cooks don't. I got lazy about measuring once I was cooking everyday. Baking relies on the chemistry of what's being cooked to rise correctly and taste right. Silly baking.

5. So, you've added the curry and such, now add the milk mixture to it, and then stir a bunch while it heats and thickens over the heat. Remember to keep the burner on, it can't thicken if you turn it off. This is not the voice of experience.

5.5. Oh, yeah don't forget to add the parsley, pepper, and salt.

6. Pour the whole thing in a 9x13 pan and add the chicken and stir it a little. At this point remember to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

7. Put the crust on top, mumble about circle crusts and rectangle pans, and do some judicious cutting. Now it all fits, but doens't look pretty.

8. Cook for 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown, and the sauce is bubbling.

9. Eat. That's the easy part.

Verdict: My husband loves it, he thought it was really good. I'm not super thrilled with it, but the curry wasn't the horridly overwhelming flavor in the other dishes I've had, so that's good. Very yummy.

For more yummy recipes, and I'm adding lots to my recipe book go over to I Blame My Mother .
Related Posts with Thumbnails