Saturday, July 25, 2009

Preschool Corner: our plans for the year

This year I'm actually using a curriculum. I've bought the "My Father's World" Kindergarten to use with my kids. It's intended for ages 3-6, so Princess is a little young, but I'm doing it more for the boys. With her I'm going to have her play along and she'll do different workbook activities. I don't think they're ready for a super hard core kindergarten with lots of workbooks or something, but this seems like a good way to step up what we're doing a little.

Here's our list of themes for the year:

Sun
Moon
Leaf
Apple
Nest (animal homes)
Turtle
Us (five senses)
Dinosaur
Octopus
Water
Insect
Goat (farm animals)
cow (farm animals)
horse (farm animals)
elephant (wild animals)
penguin (wild animals)
kangaroo (wild animals)
zebra (wild animals)
rock
jewel
butterfly (life cycle)
frog (life cycle)
fox
vegetable
quail (birds/contentment)
yellow (colors)

I like that it includes a list of books and some activities, it also has a very good plan for getting kids to read. It kind of reminds me of "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", I've seen people rave about this book, but it didn't work for me personalitywise. I'll also be supplementing with any and all cool activities that I've found on various blogs (I've become quite the Evernote addict). My plan is to post about what we've done a week later, rather than trying to frantically post that same week.

We'll probably start up with sun in a week or so, it's a boring post, but I thought it could be helpful to know what we're up to in the near future. Or, at least I like to know what other people are doing.

For more great preschool ideas go to Homeschool Creations
For what other people are doing this year go to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
Related Posts with Thumbnails