Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vacation!

Picnic talk for the week is vacations. So, here goes:

Where I've been: I was lucky enough to grow up with a Mom who took the summers to travel all over the United States with us in our van. This started after we moved to Texas from California. So we drove to California a couple of times. We also drove up to Colorado and then took the train. I highly recommend train travel, it is fun, as long as you don't need to be somewhere at a specific time. We also took the train from Austin over to the East coast. Then we stayed with my uncle and wandered around the upper East coast. Another summer we went to Virginia and a lot of that area and then ended the trip down in Florida and Disney World. Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever really gone to a bunch of the midwestern states or the Northwest.

I've also been lucky enough to travel overseas. My Dad worked over in HOng Kong and Singapore when I was a baby, so when I was a freshman we went back there for Spring Break. I've also been on lots of mission trips to Mexico in high school and college. I loved going down there, and look forward to when my kids are old enough to accompany me on short term mission trips. OH! And for our honeymoon we went to London. That was AWESOME!

So, as you can tell I like to travel, and I've been really blessed to be able to travel a lot.

Photobucket

As to our vacations plans this year..... Well, we just got back from a fun filled trip to Wisconsin. Pretty much if you click on a state in my side bar that's one of the "field trips" we went on while driving back. This fall we're going down to Galveston in Octoberish time frame. My in-laws were nice enough to let us use their time share down there.



Hmmmm...... The best place to vacation with kids. We had lots of fun in San Antonio last fall. We went to all sorts of fun places. The Alamo, the children's museum, the Witte Museum, the riverwalk, the zoo. But, truthfully I think as long as you have some ingenuity there's a bunch of great places you can go to in almost any city. I mean most people wouldn't think of Central Wisconsin as a great place to go, but my kids had a blast. We found lots of great parks and other things to see. The important things for finding great places: visitor centers, welcome centers, and keeping your eyes open. You have to be willing to stop at the little place with 25 cent admission and looks really hokey. Sure, it's a 30 minute diversion, but you learned some fun stuff and saw something you don't see all the time at home.

Go see where else people went for vacation at this week's picnic talk.
Related Posts with Thumbnails